The Director of this small charity was due to take 12 months maternity leave. The Trustees required a cost-effective solution to cover her role which ensured continuity, provided a “safe pair of hands” and ensured the work of the charity was developed in the interim. This needed to be delivered as cost-effectively as possible. With his knowledge of the sector, Jim was able to act as the interim Director for 12 months, working alongside the charities Trustees and other key stakeholders to develop and deliver the charity’s work programme, adding value through enhancing both strategic programmes and tactical events and services, as well as providing line management support to a central staff member. Find out more
Strategy and Planning
To be successful you need a coherent strategy that the staff and board understand and can relate to. A good strategic plan is more than just a live document, refreshed and revisited over time, it is an approach that underpins what you do and how you do it.
At Achill Management we help our clients with all stages of the strategy and planning process.
The context – helping you with the first stage includes
- Setting or revising your Vision & Mission
- Identifying and articulating your values and goals
- Stakeholder engagement in strategic planning – staff and wider team consultations and brainstorming
- Strategic planning with Board
- Clients, customers, service users – analyzing need and gaining buy in
Structuring your strategy
- Setting strategic objectives
- Targets and measurements
- Financial planning, modeling and assessment
- Linking Strategic Objectives to income generation and services
Writing Strategic Business Plans
- Working with small board & leadership teams to actually get your good ideas down on paper
- Linking strategic goals with year on year targets
- Making sure it makes sense and is accessible and jargon free
Operational planning and roll out
- Gaining buy in and commitment from staff teams
- Revising and reviewing planning
Sally Staples, Cultural Strategy Manager, East Sussex County Council
"What made Amanda’s initial pitch stand out for me was that she read between the lines and saw beyond our brief. In my experience she uses that perception combined with astute diplomacy to ensure that she provides true value for money. Working with her is a constructive dialogue and that’s what makes it a rewarding experience – and she has the tenacity, patience and humour to make the collaboration a pleasure. It’s also reassuring to know that she has an impressive range of associates to call on to supplement her own expertise."
Trustee, INTBAU about Jim Haywood
"I am sure I speak for all the Trustees, the chapters and the staff of INTBAU for Jim’s guidance of INTBAU during the Director's absence. I personally very much appreciated his methodical and insightful style of management and organisation of the very successful events during the last 12 months. "